Home

Friday, February 3, 2012

Ensaymada

When I was a child, my Nanang Abe (My grand auntie who passed away at the age of 100 in 2004) used to have a small sari - sari store in Sagrada Familia (Hagonoy, Bulacan). She would always take me with her each time she went to the palengke (town market) to buy her store supplies. One thing I remember was this small coiled almost like a katol (LOL) soft bread with cheese and sugar toppings that she would always buy in 6 pieces. 

They were usually bought in a plastic bag wrapping. I could not remember how much were they though but I know that Nanang Abe would just add a 5 cent on top of the price of each piece when she sold them at her sari - sari store. I remember I would have them as "baon" and they were actually yummy. I couldn't remember though if I have paid Nanang Abe for my "baon"..heheheh.

Fast forward ...today, the "Megamelt" ensaymada of the Muhlach's family (Nino Muhlach) is one of the best ensaymada I have had. It so happened that one of the sisters of Nino was my student many years ago at Miriam Grade School. She was kind enough to bring me to their farm in Batangas and their Ensaymada factory. Other ensaymadas that I really love to eat are those from Girlie's Malolos and the ones from Barasoain Bakeshop.

According to spot.com, the following are the top 10 ensaymadas ...I will surely try each one of them when I go back and visit the Philippines.
1. Café Mary Grace Classic Ensaymada (P52)
2. The Peninsula Manila's Plain Ensaymada (P84.60)
3. Uno Restaurant Ensaymada (P30)
4. Hizon's Quezo de Bola Ensaymada (P105)
5. Medina Ensaymada (P205)
6. Imang Beatrice Rodriguez of Pampanga Ensaymada (P200)
7. The Kapampangan Homemade Classic Ensaymada (P170)
8. Cunanan Ensaymada (P580 for a dozen ensaymadas in a box)
9. Addie's Ensaymada (P1,100 for a dozen small, 100-gram ensaymadas)
10. Pasteleria Mallorca Ensaymada (P270 for one gigantic ensaymada)

Try this awesome recipe which Steve (my hubby) added a little twist to
Ingredients:
Dough
1/3 C refined sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp instant yeast
2 tbs warm water
1/2 all purpose flour
1/3 C butter

Sponge:
1 egg
1 tbsp refined sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
2 tbsp warm water
3 egg yolks
1/2 C all purpose flour
1 C mashed potatoes

Toppings:
grated cheese
melted butter
sugar

Procedure:
  1. Mix Sponge ingredients in amixing bowl. Combine until blended and knead until dough is smooth. Shape into a ball, cover with damp cloth or cling wrap and let rise for 2 hours at room temperature.
  2. Put the dough ingredients except butter in a mixing bowl. Blend well. Add the sponge and butter. Knead just until it is smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball. Put in a bowl and cover with damp cloth and let rise until it doubles its size.
  3. Punch dough and divide into desired number of pieces. Shape into balls and cover again with damp cloth and let rise for about 30 minutes.
  4. Roll out each piece thinly into rectangles. Brush surfaces with butter. Roll into logs and twirl into shape, locking the ends to seal. Place on greased ensaymada molds or baking pan. Let rise for 2 hours and wait until it double its size.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown at 325 F or 160-170 C fan forced oven.
  6. Cool slightly and brush with melted butter. Top with cheese and sprinkle sugar.
Note: Don't overknead and don't forget to follow the time allotted for each resting. Steve used a mashed potato Aussie style recipe. It made the ensaymada softer.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your recipe I am also a fun of ensaymada, this Is one of my favourite food. Im delighted to know you taught in Miriam in Katipunan? My daughter studied her grade school in Miriam too. she is now 20. I am interested on the Aussie style mashed potato that Steve included in this recipe. I'd appreciate if you can share the particular mashed potato he used. Is it instant sachet you buy in woolies? Or is it the real potatoes just mashed?I am from ACT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the amount of flour you posted for the dough is wrong. It turned out very wet. I used at least 1 1/2 cups of flour plus more for kneading.

    ReplyDelete

It would be nice to hear from you!