Home

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sweet and Sour Pork

My husband fell in love with my sweet and sour pork when I cooked it for the first time.  He said that's better than the ones from chinese restaurants.  Of course, my head swelled a bit hheheh!  My darling daughter who doesn't really like eating much except

when we have sinigang or nilaga loved it too so I thought it must be really good!  I thought this dish was a complicated one when I first tried it.  Maybe because I only see this dish on restaurants, or if the food is catered.  When I was still working in Miriam College, sweet and sour pork or fish would always be served whenever we have a celebration.  That's where I got this recipe...well not exactly the recipe from the caterer but the recipe according to what I have tasted and what I have seen in the dish before.  This one is tried and tested and tasted.  I hope you will also enjoy the dish.

Pork
500 g pork, cubed
1 capcicum (bell pepper), julliene or diced
1 medium size carrots, thinly cut (diagonal)
1 medium size onions, diced
1/2 C pinapple chunks
1/2 C cornstarch + 1/2 C plain flour
1 egg, beaten
soy sauce (to taste)

Sweet and Sour Sauce
1/3 c vinegar
1/3 c pineapple juice
1/2 c brown sugar
4 tbs ketchup (banana or tomato)
4 tbsp cornflour or cornstarch
1 tbsp soy sauce

Procedure
Pork
Marinade the pork with soy sauce for 15 - 20 minutes.
Beat 1 egg.
Mix cornstarch and flour.
Heat a pan with oil enough for deep frying.
Dip pork in the egg.
Roll the pork into the flour mixture.
Fry until golden brown.

Sweet and Sour Sauce
Mix all ingredients in a pot with a whisk except the cornstarch.
Heat over low fire until boiling.  Pour in the cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 c water.
Stir until thick.

Pour the sauce in a heated pan. Add carrots, onions, capcicum and simmer until half cooked.  Put in the pork. Add water if you must.  Simmer.

A comment or two will be appreciated...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It would be nice to hear from you!