Home

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Racquel's Sinigang na Ulo ng Salmon sa Miso (Salmon Head in Miso)

Miso is a traditional Japanese seasoning paste.  This is made from fermenting rice, barley and/or soy with salt and fungus.  The result is a thick paste used in sauces, spread, pickling veggies and meat. 

Miso is a staple ingredients in many Japanese dishes that calls for soup.  The earliest miso is made basically from grain and this is called "hishio."  It is believed that this grain and fish miso has been around Japan since the Neolithic Period.  However, there is also a study that miso has actually started during the 3 century BC or even earlier in China.  It is very interesting to know that it was later introduced in Japan around 6th century AD just as the same time when Buddhism was also introduced in Japan.  Miso is quite very high in protein, vitamins and minerals and had become a part of the nutritional diet of feudal Japan.
This miso soup is also popular in the Philippines.  I would remember my father cooking fish in miso.  He didn't use the ready made miso soup base but he would use the miso paste that you can buy from the vegetable stalls in Hagonoy Town Market or palengke.  Here in australia, you can buy miso from Asian Store at McWhirter's in Brunswick, Brisbane or any Asian stores around.  I am not that confident in using the paste though.  I think I have used it before when we were still in the Philippines.  The result was nice...but I must admit, my tatay's (father) and my Ate Susan's or her hubby's miso soup are better.  I have a number of Mama Sita's miso soup base in my pantry but I never had the time or the urge (?) to cook one.  I would probably cook one when my hubby's able to get me a nice fish head.

Racquel, a cooking enthusiast and a lover of food, has shared with me this recipe.  I should really try it!  I think you should too!

Here's the recipe...

Ingredients
1 k salmon head
30 g ginger (squashed)
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic
2 medium size tomatoes, diced
green chillis
1 horse radish (labanos), sliced diagonally
1 bundle spinach (mustasa)
30 g fresh tamarind (boiled, juice)
miso paste

Procedure
Boil tamarind and squeeze juice.  Remove the tamarind skins and seeds.  Add the miso to the tamarind juice and boil them together.
Sautee garlic, onions, ginger and tomatoes.
Put in the fish. 
Pour in the tamarind - miso soup mixture.
Put in the veggies. Simmer and serve hot.
I hope I did a good job in fixing and translating the recipe Racquel =)

A comment or two will be appreciated...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It would be nice to hear from you!