Home

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Seafood and VeggiesTempura

Whenever I go to a Japanese Resto or Take Away Fast Food, I would always order tempura and sushi rolls.  They make me so hungry each time I see them hehehe. 

The other night I was watching My Kitchen Rules Australia and the sisters from Victoria prepared a tempura platter for their special guests.  I got inspired by their tempura platter so I told my hubby, I will make some for us.  He asked me if I know how to make them.  I said "no sweat...that's so easy."  I did not have my pen then so I had to just remember how to make the batter.  I am not sure though if they added baking soda which I did but my tempura turned out good too --light and crunchy.  The secret of making tempura batter is to use cold water or crushed ice and mix them lightly with a spoon making sure that the batter is light and thin.

You can use any veggie or seafood that you want.  There is no rule on what veggies or seafood that are used in tempura.

Ingredients
Batter
1 egg
1 c plain flour
1 c ice cold water or crushed ice
a pinch of baking soda

Procedure
Beat in egg in bowl.  Add in the water.  Put in the sifted flour.  Mix lightly.  Do not overmix.
The batter should be light and thin.  If it is thick, add more crushed ice or ice cold water.
Coat your veggies or seafood and deep fry.
Serve with tempura sauce.

A comment or two will be appreciated...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It would be nice to hear from you!