Home

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Pinoy Biko with a twist

I am not really a biko lover.  Even when I was younger, whenever my tatay or nanay or Nanang Abe would buy biko and kalamay hirin from the town center, I would always choose the kalamay hirin.  So when I decided to cook a biko, I was surprised myself maybe because the feeling of homesickness got into me? 

I've found this recipe at panlasangpinoy on how to cook biko the easy way using a rice cooker.  It's a great help indeed.  I was thinking though whether I would use caramel toppings but I decided that maybe I should try leche flan topping.  I just followed my recipe in making a custard but added coconut cream for more flavor.  This biko with a twist turned out really yummy that my husband and daughters couldn't stop eating.  I loved the taste too.  I would probably make more biko in the future.   Maybe next time I will use mangoes as toppings? hmmm....interesting!

Ingredients
Biko
2 c glutinous rice (malagkit)
4 c coconut cream (2 tins or kakang gata)
1 1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
pandan leaves (2)

Toppings
Coco-Leche Flan
1 c coconut cream
1 c condensed milk
1 c evaporated milk
2 tbsp plain flour
5 egg yolks
lime rind

Procedure

You have the option to cook rice in a rice cooker with 1 1/2 c water or you can add the uncooked rice to the coco-cugar mixture and cook it together with it. 
Combine the coco-sugar- salt mixture in a pot before you put it on the fire. 
Make sure that the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is a little bit thick when you add the uncooked rice.  If you are going to add the cooked rice, the mixture should be thick enough to your liking. 
The important thing is the rice is cooked and the most of the liquid has evaporated. 
Remember to keep stiring the rice-coco-sugar mixture (put the pandan in) to make sure that the liquid is evenly distributed and that it doesn't get burn at the bottom.
Put the biko in a foil pan or any pan that is oven proof

Coco - Leche Flan
Beat the egg yolks and put the lime rind on it.  Set aside
Whisk the coconut cream, evaporated and condensed milk, and flour in a pot before cooking them.  Put the pot over  a low fire and continue whisking until it gets thicker.  Put the egg yolks (remove the lime rind) in and continue stirring until it's thick enough to your liking.

Spread the coco-leche flan into the biko.  Use a big spatula to do this (or a turner).
Bake the biko in a 175C preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the top is a little bit brownish in color.

A comment or two will be appreciated...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It would be nice to hear from you!